MiChart platform upgrade coming Sunday, July 9
Epic, the vendor of MiChart software, is rolling out a new upgraded software platform. On Sunday, July 9, Michigan Medicine will transition MiChart to this new platform. For updates see the MiChart Platform project page.
The new platform brings benefits, including:
- Improved performance and response time
- Simplified technical processes during software upgrades
- Increased flexibility for software deployment
- More development options to improve functionality, visual appeal
While customers will not notice a difference in how they access MiChart, there will be some changes within the application.
Key new feature and updates:
- The new User Identifier menu provides easy access to common user settings for adjusting the look and feel of MiChart.
- Relocation of the search bar under the Epic button with added basic math and unit conversion feature.
- The new Notification hub makes it easy to review and access In Basket, Secure Chat, and other system notifications.
- Improved patient lookup to cut down on click fatigue.
- Sticky notes now supports dot phrases and spell check.
- The Analytics Catalog replaces the Reporting Workbench Library and My Reports activity.
- On kiosk machines – MiChart will auto-launch at log-in but can then be closed if not in use.
A practice environment featuring the changes coming in the MiChart Platform upgrade is available now to all. MiChart users will access through Virtual Places (https://vplaces.med.umich.edu). This is the same practice environment used for MiChart upgrades. This will provide users a chance to experience the upgrade changes prior to the go-live on July 9.
Select the Epic MiChart Practice Upgrade Environment icon to log in. Detailed instructions for accessing the practice environment, including login and patient information, can be found on the following links. Please note – you must log in to access the MiChart information.?
User Experience Labs
To prepare for new features within the platform upgrade, MiChart users are invited to attend User Experience Labs to test their daily workflows in a practice environment. The labs will offer the opportunity to identify the impact of changes and provide feedback to the MiChart project team.
Sign up using this link – MiChart Platform Upgrade User Experience Lab Sign Ups – to attend one of the one-hour sessions offered virtually on the following dates:
- Wednesday, May 31, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Friday, June 2, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Monday, June 5, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 6, 7 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Thursday, June 8, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Please be sure to indicate your role and location so that HITS may better anticipate the type of users and applications that will need support.
Labs are available to all users but targeted for clinical users. Please note that Revenue Cycle will be holding virtual pre and post upgrade lab sessions. Dates and times will be communicated separately.