LGBTQIA+: An Introduction to Inclusive Language
Tuesday, June 27, 2023
10:30am - 12:00pm
This course aims to shift our culture to be more LGBTQIA+ friendly. When it comes to attractionality and gender identity, language is so important. It helps us to acknowledge, respect and affirm the diversity of bodies, genders and relationships that exist at U-M. We’ll discuss roadblocks and challenges some people face when using inclusive language. After identifying those challenges, we will share strategies to make practicing easier. We’ll also learn how to use them in interactions with patients, students, staff and colleagues.
You will learn to:
- Identify gender inclusive language and how to use it appropriately
- Use inclusive terms related to sexual orientation and gender identity
- Determine strategies to use when faced with challenges to using inclusive language
You will benefit by:
- Understanding why it is important to use gender inclusive language
- Gaining skills to apply inclusive terms and concepts to daily interactions
- Having resources you can use to encourage using more inclusive language
Any U-M staff or faculty member who would like to learn inclusive language in order to build respectful and safe communities.