Buying new tech this holiday season? Wipe those old devices and data
Approximately a 2-minute read
- If you’re getting new technology this holiday season, be careful how you dispose of your old hardware!
- HITS can help you remove sensitive information, including any work information that shouldn’t fall into the wrong hands.
- Your new devices must be enrolled in InTune to preserve work access.
The holiday shopping season is in full swing and for many of us, it’s time to take advantage of all the great tech deals. Upgrading devices and gadgets is an exciting (and nowadays, necessary) endeavor, but be careful not to just throw your old phone, laptop, tablet, etc. in the trash bin!
Before disposing of any device or media, you should take steps to make sure you have removed all personal, professional or other sensitive data from it.
Vulnerable data that might be stolen from a device could include your bank or investment account number and password, your credit card numbers, information in databases, spreadsheets, tax software, and data from research projects.
It could also include work passwords, patient information or other PHI, which is essential to keep from falling into the wrong hands.
Here are some more important tips:
- If you are disposing of a personal device, unenroll it in InTune. You may also reach out to HITS to make sure they completely remove any sensitive information.
- It is best to dispose or recycle a device at local e-waste recycling drop-offs. Click here to learn more.
- If you accidentally dispose of a device without wiping it and it has suspected PHI on it, you must contact HITS. This is true for both personal and institutionally-owned devices. To contact HITS:
- In the case of theft or suspicion of theft of a device at Michigan Medicine that contains sensitive institutional data, contacts HITS immediately. You will also need to contact the Division of Public Safety and Security, Risk Management and Financial Operations.
- Click here for more instructions on what to do in the case of theft or loss.
- Don’t forget, if you get new tech, be sure to enroll it in InTune to preserve access to your work email and other functions.
For more information on device setup and data disposal, visit Safe Computing.