Wednesday, November 30, 2022
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Privilege is often misunderstood when used in a DEI context. An individual can have privilege in one area and not another. Life may not have been easy, yet an individual could still have elements of privilege. In this session, we will explore the nuances around privilege as it relates to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace.
You will learn to:
- Identify types of privilege and where you have/don’t have privilege
- Determine ways elements of privilege intersect
- Define “white privilege” and why it may seem controversial
- Spot areas where hidden privilege may exist
- Describe how privilege affects work relationships and team dynamics
You will benefit by:
- Gaining an understanding of the types of privilege and the effects on ourselves and others
- Obtaining language that can be used when the topic of privilege comes up in conversation
- Having a better understanding of how different elements of privilege can impact the workplace
Any U-M faculty or staff member who would like to have a better understanding of privilege and its impact on workplace culture, relationships and team dynamics.