Celebrate Michigan Medicine alumni and faculty on Oct. 13!
Join the Michigan Medicine Alumni Society in celebrating the accomplishments of U-M Medical School alumni and faculty!
Michigan Medicine faculty, staff and friends are invited to the Alumni Society’s Distinguished Awards Ceremony on Thursday, Oct. 13 from 5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. at the A. Alfred Taubman Biomedical Science Research Building.
The awards recognize former U-M medical and doctoral students, residents and fellows, as well as current and past faculty members who have demonstrated exceptional leadership and service in their careers.
Admission to the event is free, but guests are asked to RSVP here.
Honorees will be recognized with awards for distinguished achievement, service, humanitarianism, basic science research, and early career achievement. Each recipient is nominated by peers and is chosen based on how they have carried on U-M’s commitment to excellence and drive to effect change.
This year’s ceremony will honor awardees from 2022, 2021 and 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic canceling the program the past two years.
Distinguished Service Award
- 2020: Deborah L. Gumucio (Ph.D. 1986)
- 2021: James A. Knol (M.D. 1974, residency 1980)
- 2022: Deborah R. Berman (M.D. 1999, residency 2003, fellowship 2010)
Distinguished Early Career Award
- 2020: Carey N. Lumeng (M.D. 2000, Ph.D. 2000, fellowship 2006)
- 2021: Renée A. Shellhaas (M.D. 2001, M.S. 2009)
- 2022: Namandjé N. Bumpus (Ph.D. 2008)
Distinguished Humanitarian Award
- 2020: Jeffrey D. Punch (M.D. 1986, residency 1992)
- 2021: Jennifer C. Kim, M.D. (U-M professor of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery)
- 2022: Louito C. Edje (M.D. 1995, MHPE 2017)
Distinguished Achievement Award
- 2020: Arul M. Chinnaiyan (M.D. 1999, Ph.D. 1999, residency 2001)
- 2021: Tadataka (Tachi) Yamada, M.D. (Sc.D. Hon. 2015)
- 2022: Gail P. Jarvik, M.D., (Ph.D. 1986)
Basic Sciences Research Award
- 2020: A. Thomas Look (M.D. 1975, residency 1977)
- 2021: John M. Carethers, M.D. (fellowship 1995)
- 2022: Sean J. Morrison, Ph.D. (U M Center for Stem Cell Biology director, 1999-2011)
The Michigan Medicine Alumni Society was founded in 1960 and was one of the first alumni societies at U-M whose membership consisted of graduates of a particular school or college. Graduates of the Medical School and/or medical science programs in the Rackham Graduate School, former residents and fellows, and current and emeritus faculty comprise its members. For questions or more information, visit the Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony website or contact email@example.com.