Reminder: Student move-in begins tomorrow, Aug. 24
Ann Arbor is about to get a lot more crowded!
This year’s student move-in will take place over five days and it is expected to cause multiple changes to the usual traffic and parking patterns. Move-in 2022 will begin Wednesday, Aug. 24 and run until Sunday, Aug. 28.
Michigan Housing is coordinating move-in to manage the traffic impact on the Ann Arbor and campus communities.
With the cooperation of the City of Ann Arbor, some streets in the immediate vicinity of residence halls will see traffic-flow alterations from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily during the five move-in days:
- Thompson: One-way traffic flow southbound from Jefferson to Packard streets.
- East Madison: One-way traffic flow eastbound between Thompson and State streets.
- East Washington: One-way traffic flow westbound between Fletcher and Thayer streets.
- East Ann: One-way traffic flows eastbound from Zina Pitcher to Observatory streets.
- Observatory: One-way traffic flow southbound between East Ann and Geddes streets.
Most, if not all, parking meters in the immediate vicinity of residence halls will be bagged and reserved for students and families who display the proper move-in unloading permit.
Additional parking changes will impact university parking lots and structures that will be converted to move-in use ONLY for the duration of the program.
Those structures are:
- Lot M-28 (on Washington Heights)
- Lot M-95 (just east of Markley Hall — west half of lot dedicated to move-in)
- Lot E-1 (on North University Court across from Stockwell Hall)
- Palmer parking structure (N-26): All visitor parking will be for move-in participants
- W16 (“Triangle”) Lot: Thompson at Madison and Packard will be controlled for move-in
- Lot NC32 (Baits drive south of Baits 2): 20 spaces reserved for move-in participants.
Department of Public Safety and Security officers will be on site during move-in and will aid in maintaining efficient traffic-flow in the residence hall areas.
Both the Ann Arbor Area Transit Authority (www.theride.org) and University Logistics, Transportation and Parking (ltp.umich.edu) will be changing some bus routes to accommodate the changes in traffic flow. Please visit their websites for details.
For additional information about student move-in 2022, please click here.