Wednesday, February 8, 2023
8:30am - 12:30pm
This workshop is open to faculty and staff.
This is a 2-part workshop. Participants must attend both parts.
February 8, 2023 | 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
February 15, 2023 | 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
This workshop will help you learn how to deal with bad behavior, disruptive colleagues, and difficult bosses or employees. You will learn a straightforward, step-by-step process for identifying and resolving performance gaps, strengthening accountability, eliminating inconsistency, and reducing resentment. It uses video, group discussions, skill practice, and real-life application to make the course both entertaining and engaging.
- Learn to focus on what you really want—rather than shifting to unhealthy emotional reactions such as trying to win others over to your view, discrediting others, or even causing them grief.
- Gain control over your emotions by cutting off disappointment, anger, and fear at the source.
- Spot when either you or others are slipping into either silence or violence and, as a result, putting safety at risk and starving the pool of shared meaning.
- Learn to dispel misunderstanding and distrust by clarifying misunderstood motives and establishing mutual purpose.
- Reduce defensiveness by starting with facts and only tentatively sharing conclusions.
- Turn attacking into dialogue by identifying and responding to others’ unhealthy conclusions.
This program is highly interactive and includes small group breakout sessions.
This workshop is hosted by the Office of Faculty Development but is open to all Michigan Medicine Faculty and Staff. If you are a person with a disability who requires an accommodation to attend this workshop or have questions about accessibility, please contact us at UMMS-Faculty-Development@med.umich.edu.