Nurses Week 2022 is here! Learn how nurses are ‘Rooted in Strength’
The exceptional care provided by U-M nurses is on full display for Nurses Week 2022. This year’s theme, ‘Rooted in Strength,’ exemplifies what it means to be a nurse.
The annual celebration runs from today, May 6, until Thursday, May 12, which coincides with Florence Nightingale’s birthday. There are numerous ways nurses are being recognized, thanked and rewarded this week.
Paw-ffice Hours with Anna the therapy dog:
All staff are invited to join with Anna inside the Recharge Rooms for a chance to relax and rejuvenate. No reservations required.
- May 9 (11 a.m. – 1 p.m.) at CW 7-231
- May 11 (11 a.m. – 1 p.m.) at MedInn C626
Nursing at Michigan Poster Day
- May 9 (virtual): More than 40 posters will be shown on-demand with voting to take place.
- May 10 (2 p.m.) at Dow Auditorium: The awards ceremony will be held in-person for most outstanding poster presentations.
- Learn more about Poster Day
Know Your Nurse campaign
Select nurses are being featured Monday through Friday throughout the month of May in honor of National Nurses Month and U-M Health’s Magnet redesignation celebrations. These nurses are being featured on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, as well as on billboards throughout Washtenaw County. Additional physical recognitions are posted on elevators, digital signs, near bus stops and other places throughout the health system.
Throughout Nurses Week, Michigan Medicine patients, families, colleagues, friends and members of the surrounding community are invited to make a gift and share a message of gratitude in honor of a nurse who has made a difference in their lives.
Contributions will support innovative research, professional development opportunities, wellness programs and efforts to advance patient care. Visit victors.us/nursesweek to learn more.
Physicians celebrating nurses
Ten physicians, led by David C. Miller, M.D., M.P.H., President of U-M Health, are coordinating efforts to celebrate nurses through donations. Miller has sent a letter co-signed by colleagues David J. Brown, M.D., John M. Carethers, M.D., MACP, Kevin Chi Chung, M.D., M.S., Justin B. Dimick, M.D., M.P.H., Kim A. Eagle, M.D., MACC, Dee E. Fenner, M.D., Hitinder S. Gurm, M.D., Marie M. Lozon, M.D., and George A. Mashour, M.D., Ph.D. These 10 are asking colleagues to support nursing research, professional development, wellness programs and elevate world-class nursing practices.
Professional development opportunities
Also, this week, to support the professional development of its nurses, the Nurse Recruitment and Retention team has announced a variety of educational opportunities open to all nurses beginning Friday, May 6. Visit http://www.umhscareers.org/nurseweek2022 for registration details.
- Dinner and Pain Lecture: Thursday, June 9, 5:30 p.m. dinner, 6:15-7:15 p.m.; Kensington Hotel, Ann Arbor (CE provided)
- Nursing Professional Development Exam Review: Thursday, June 28, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.; Online webinar (CE provided)
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Exam Review: Aug. 3-4, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Online webinar (CE provided)
- Shining Your Light Again: Resiliency Training/Compassion Fatigue: Aug. 11, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.; DoubleTree Hotel, Ann Arbor & online viewing (CE provided)
- Building Toward Belonging: Michigan Medicine Implicit Bias Training (LARA Compliant) and Dinner: Sept. 13, 5:30 p.m. dinner, 6:15-7:15 p.m.; Kensington Hotel, Ann Arbor (CE provided)
- Avoiding Legal Perils in Nursing Practice: Oct. 7, 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Kensington Hotel, Ann Arbor & online viewing (CE provided)
- Charge Nurse Boot Camp: Oct. 26-27, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.; Online webinar (CE provided)
- Ambulatory Care Nursing Exam Review: Nov. 5-6, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.; Online webinar (CE provided)
- Nurse Executive Exam Review, Basic: Dec. 2, 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.; Kensington Hotel, Ann Arbor & online viewing (CE provided)
- CE Gift Cards (5-6 CE)
- Certification Review Gift Cards
Freebies and discounts
The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) has once again compiled a list of freebees and discounts available to eligible nurses at various restaurants, retail outlets and travel companies. Check them out in one tidy place.