Honoring Life and Loss: Grief Awareness for Faculty, Staff coming this May
Throughout the month of May, the organization will honor life and loss during Grief Awareness Month.
As an established Michigan Medicine tradition, Honoring Life and Loss: Grief Awareness for Faculty and Staff has been recognizing grief and loss in the workplace since 2013.
This year, however, brings a more poignant moment — throughout the pandemic, losses have been pronounced and the need to grieve immense.
Our collective grief has permeated most aspects of our lives over these past 2 years. What are we carrying in our bones? What can we do to help ease the burden? This year’s events will cover the breadth of loss that one faces in a health care setting and in one’s personal life. May is also nationally recognized as Mental Health Awareness Month and these events are designed to help support the range of mental health experiences one may have in relation to grief and loss.
You are invited to pause and honor the impact of grief and loss from this past year and build resilience as you move forward.
Grief Awareness Month events include:
- Grief Wall: Participate all month on the windows on the 2nd floor of University Hospital
- Schwartz Rounds: “When Life Doesn’t Unfold as Expected: Caring for Varieties of Grief,” noon-1 p.m., Monday, May 2
- Paw-ffice hours: Pet a dog and recharge, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 4, C&W 7-321
- Community of Compassion: How to Support Colleagues Through Difficult Times at Work, 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m., Thursday, May 5
- A Space for Healing: Honoring Our Experiences with COVID-19, 5 p.m.-6 p.m., Monday, May 9
- Gifts of Art presents Comfort Legacy Kits, noon-1 p.m., Thursday, May 12
- Paw-ffice hours: Pet a dog and recharge, 6 a.m.-8 a.m., Tuesday, May 17, Med Inn C626
- 2022 Conference: Discovering Compassion in Loss: Building Sustainability for All, 1 p.m.-5 p.m., Wednesday, May 18
- OPE presents: Cultural Humility as a Lens into Grief and Loss, 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 24
- The Value of Rituals: Holding Spaces for Our Patients and Ourselves, 10:30 a.m.-noon, Wednesday, May 25
- Holding a Space for You: Communication and Coping in Reproductive Loss, 2 p.m.-3 p.m., Thursday, May 26
- Paw-ffice hours: Pet a dog and recharge, noon-2 p.m., Monday, May 30, CVC 5331A
- A Space for Healing: Honoring Our Experiences with COVID-19, noon-1 p.m., Tuesday, May 31
Educational events are virtual and many offer nursing and social work CEUs. Click here for full descriptions and information regarding how to participate.