Nominate your department for reducing ergonomic risks
Nominations are now being accepted for departments and units that have reduced ergonomic risk factors by modifying equipment, redesigning work processes or adding new equipment.
U-M faculty or staff can submit nominations for the annual MHealthy Ergonomics Awards for Departments through March 31. To qualify, the ergonomic solution must have been implemented during calendar year 2019 – 2021 and reduced one or more of the following:
- Awkward postures: Repeated or prolonged reaching, twisting, bending, kneeling, squatting or working overhead with your hands or arms.
- Forceful exertions: Heavy lifting or maintaining control of equipment or tools.
- Repetition or sustained postures: Doing the same motions over and over again or holding the body in one posture for long periods of time.
- Contact stress: Pressing the body against a hard or sharp object can result in putting too much pressure on nerves, tendons and blood vessels. For example, using your hand as a hammer can increase your risk of MSD (musculoskeletal disorders).
- Vibration: For example, operating vibrating tools such as sanders, grinders, chippers, routers, drills and saws.
- Temperature extremes: For example, the use of thick or loose-fitting gloves to keep hands warm may cause you to grip hand tools more forcefully, resulting in added stress to the wrists and hands.
Applications can be submitted online through March 31. Please note, if you submitted an application in 2019 or 2020 for your department/unit, you do not need to resubmit. The team will be reviewing applications submitted before the pandemic.
Nominations are reviewed by the Ergonomics Awareness Team and judged on the significance of the ergonomic issue and the success of the ergonomic solution.
The Ergonomics team includes representatives from MHealthy; Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) in Ann Arbor; Michigan Medicine Safety Management Services; Environmental Health and Safety in Dearborn; and Environment, Health and Safety in Flint. Winners will be notified in May.
Departments/units will be recognized at one of three award levels:
- Gold Level: Units receive a plaque of recognition
- Silver Level: Units receive a certificate of recognition
- Bronze Level: Units receive a special letter of appreciation
Get more information or to submit a department award nomination. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734-763-0852.