It’s National Nutrition Month! Make informed food choices with these university programs, resources
March is recognized as National Nutrition Month, encouraging individuals to make informed food choices and develop sound eating and physical activity habits.
This month and year-round, the university offers a number of resources to help you make informed food choices and develop sound eating habits:
- Free virtual cooking classes: Interact virtually with MHealthy’s chefs and dietitians as they share tips for saving time, cutting costs and having fun making tasty, healthy foods. Registration is now open for April’s two-class series.
- Nourish Your Whole Self: Based on the concept of intuitive eating, this 12-week program helps you build a lifestyle focused on eating mindfully, being kind to yourself, enjoying movement, and being thankful for your body. Registration for new sessions will open on April 4, 2022.
- MHealthy recipe database: Search MHealthy’s recipes and find delicious, satisfying, quick and easy recipes that will help you and your family eat well. More than 300 healthy recipes are available that meet MHealthy’s Nutrition Guidelines.
- Maize & Blue Cupboard: This food pantry provides U-M faculty, staff and students who have an immediate need with healthy, nutritious, and nourishing food and the ability to prepare it for themselves or others.
- Cooking videos: Watch these short videos to get new recipe ideas and learn time-saving tips for selecting, cleaning, cutting and cooking fresh vegetables.
- Cooking Matters® at Home: This free, five-week virtual cooking course offers ideas on how to use the foods you have on-hand to create quick, family-friendly, low-cost meals. Each course is taught by a nutrition educator. Registration opens April 12.
- MHealthy Portal resources: The MHealthy Portal, powered by Asset Health, includes a number of nutrition-related programs and resources, including a new Virtual Grocery Store, Knowledge Courses and more. Available to active benefits-eligible faculty and staff and their U-M health plan enrolled spouse/OQA.
Celebrate a World of Flavors
National Nutrition Month was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This year, it invites everyone to Celebrate a World of Flavors and embrace global cultures, cuisines and inclusivity. What foods, flavors, and recipes are you, your family, your friends known for? And how do they fit into your healthy eating style? To join in the fun, snap a photo of what’s on your plate and share using the hashtag #CelebrateMyPlate.