Do you know your HRO?
To become a High Reliability Organization (HRO), employees should always consider “Safety First in Every Decision.”
This tool reminds leaders and their teams to openly talk about safety before important decisions are made, even if their discussions do not result in a change in process, procedure or event.
Here are some questions you should ask when making critical decisions that could impact the safety of patients or faculty, staff and learners:
- Will this make the patient(s) more likely or less likely to have a good outcome?
- Will this increase the probability of harm? Or create the possibility of a different kind of harm?
- How do we know that this will be just as safe? Or just as effective?
- Are these demands too much on my staff?
- What other solutions can we consider?