Upcoming Outlook upgrades mark next step toward full Microsoft 365 experience
Between now and the end of 2021, Health Information Technology & Services will upgrade approximately 48,000 Outlook accounts from onsite servers to the cloud — marking the next major step in making the full Microsoft 365 (M365) experience available to everyone across Michigan Medicine.
This change is necessary to support better integration with other Microsoft tools (including SharePoint Online, Office 365 + OneDrive, and Forms), and to enable full functionality when Microsoft Teams is introduced later this year.
Stay tuned for messages from ‘ReadyForM365’
Account upgrades will happen in “waves,” and customers whose accounts are scheduled will be notified ahead of time. For most Outlook users, the impact will be minor, and brief — they’ll merely need to sign in again to their existing desktop app (or at office.com) using their Michigan Medicine (Level-2) credentials.
Those who use personal mobile (BYO) devices such as phones and tablets to access email, calendar or other Michigan Medicine resources (including WiFi) will need to switch from Intelligent Hub to Microsoft Intune following their account upgrade. As customers are notified, HITS will provide full details — including step-by-step instructions, how-to videos, and links to virtual (Zoom) “drop in” sessions hosted by Help Me Now staff.
Benefits of this upgrade
As Outlook account upgrades are completed, and as more people begin using Microsoft cloud-based tools, including Teams, members of the Michigan Medicine community will enjoy the full benefits of the M365 digital workspace — including the ability to create, manage and collaborate in documents live, in real-time, from virtually anywhere on nearly any device; and the ability to connect with colleagues (via email, messaging or video) more quickly and easily.
Today, both how and where many people work are rapidly evolving — along with their technology needs. That’s why HITS is working to develop and deliver a robust digital workspace that will benefit Michigan Medicine by:
- Enabling efforts to improve communication, productivity, and collaboration in support of the core value of teamwork.
- Connecting colleagues and collaborators more deeply, through enhanced technologies and modern digital processes.
- Increasing opportunities to consistently respond to individual, team, and organizational needs in the context of the modern workplace.
- Visit the M365 Learning Site for tutorials and learning opportunities to make the most of what M365 has to offer.
- Visit michmed.org/365 for more information, including the latest project news and updates.
You must be logged in to post a comment.