Call for applications: Practicing Nurse Evidence-Based Practice Fellowship
The Nursing Research and Translation Committee is pleased to announce that applications will be accepted for the seventh cohort of the Practicing Nurse Evidence-Based Practice Fellowship. The applications will be accepted through Sept. 10.
This program is being offered in consultation and backing from UMPNC.
The goals of the fellowship program are to:
- Increase individual nurse knowledge around evidence-based practice, implementation and quality improvement.
- Improve quality of care for patients by implementing evidence-based care to address an area of concern.
- Continue to grow the nursing culture at U-M Health to value evidence-based practice and to be leaders in this work.
The fellowship provides an opportunity for nurses to take a clinical idea through the evidence-based practice process with support and guidance provided by university experts.
The fellowship is composed of a mixture of classroom education, self-learning and dedicated work time.
Content that will be covered in the fellowship includes: finding, critiquing and synthesizing research articles; implementation strategies to ensure success; and methods for evaluation. Each fellow will have implemented a practice change by the end of the program.
Fellows will be supported by a mentor, their unit/local leadership, individuals from the Research and Translation Committee (including a health system librarian), and other nursing and institutional groups as needed.
Time spent in classes and some work time (up to 8 hours per month) are supported by the Department of Nursing. Additional time is expected and will be done on personal time. Money to back-fill a position is not supported.
Candidates are eligible to apply for this fellowship if they meet the following criteria:
- Staff nurse or APRN who spends at least 50% of their time in direct patient care.
- Are in good standing (not in disciplinary action).
- Are in any setting including inpatient, ambulatory care, the OR/PACU areas, home care, and others (e.g. interventional radiology, medical procedures unit, etc.).
- Have worked for U-M Health as a nurse for at least one year and can commit to working in their current location (e.g. unit, clinic, etc.) for at least another year after starting program.
- Have not been a fellow in the program previously.
The fellowship is a year-long program and will start in January 2022.
Application deadline is Sept. 10, 2021. This includes the candidate’s application AND input provided by the clinical nursing director/manager.
When you submit your application, the clinical nursing director/manager you entered in the application will automatically receive a short survey to complete. In order for your application to be considered complete, this individual will need to respond by the Sept. 10 deadline, as well.
Therefore, applicants should complete this application many days in advance of the Sept. 10 deadline so that the CND/Manager has time to respond. The Research and Translation Committee will be selecting the fellows at the October meeting.
The link to the fellow applicant’s survey is below.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Lori Wenzel at email@example.com. To learn more about the Practicing Nurse EBP Fellowship program, please visit the fellowship website: