Office 365 + OneDrive coming to Michigan Medicine now through mid-July
Now through mid-July, HITS is upgrading CoreImage Windows devices (Standard and Flex mode) to enable users to begin using Microsoft Office 365 and OneDrive. This represents a major step toward making the full Microsoft 365 (M365) experience available to everyone across Michigan Medicine.
- The upgrade is occurring in “waves.” When it’s your turn, you’ll see a notification prompting you to follow these steps to install. You can then begin using Office 365 + OneDrive by logging in with your “@med” email address and Michigan Medicine (Level-2) password.
- CoreImage Mac (v2 or later) users can access Office 365 + OneDrive with their existing tools by logging in using their @med email address and Michigan Medicine (Level-2) password.
- If you are already logged into the Campus (Level-1) Office 365 instance, you will need to log out and sign in with your @med email address and Michigan Medicine (Level-2) password.
- Once enabled, you can also access these tools, along with SharePoint Online, at office.com with your @med email address and Michigan Medicine (Level-2) password.
What to expect:
- The upgrade can take up to one hour to complete, so you may want to defer it until a time that’s more convenient for you. You can choose to defer it two times, after which it will run automatically the next time you power up and connect via VPN. Alternatively, you may also download it from the Software Center.
- Office 365 provides many of the same tools you use today — Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access and Outlook — along with OneDrive (cloud storage), but packages them in a more powerful and collaborative way. You may notice some “look-and-feel” differences when using these familiar Office programs.
- You’ll gain powerful new capabilities including the ability to create, manage, access and share documents in the cloud, and the ability to collaborate in real-time with other Michigan Medicine Office 365 + OneDrive users.
- As you begin using Office 365 + OneDrive on a CoreImage Windows laptop, any files in your Desktop folder (or in your Documents or Images folders) will automatically back up to OneDrive so they are available across devices or by logging in at office.com.
Other things to know:
- The Office 365 + OneDrive upgrade does not include Outlook cloud integration. For now, Outlook email/calendar information will continue to access data from on-premises services.
- This upgrade does not include Microsoft Teams, which is coming later and will eventually replace Skype for Business.
- Microsoft Mobile Apps aren’t currently compatible with M365, but will be soon!
- A reminder: In February, HITS launched SharePoint Online, which enabled full integration with Office 365 + OneDrive and introduced many other substantial improvements. We encourage you to check it out!
Today, both how and where many people work are rapidly evolving — along with their technology needs. That’s why HITS is working to develop and support a robust digital workspace that will benefit Michigan Medicine by:
- Enabling efforts to improve communication, productivity and collaboration in support of the core value of teamwork.
- Connecting colleagues and collaborators more deeply, through enhanced technologies and modern digital processes.
- Increasing opportunities to consistently respond to individual, team and organizational needs in the context of the modern workplace.
Want to learn more