New dates added: Facilitating conversations for an anti-racist workplace workshop
This workshop is open to faculty and staff who are managers and supervisors.
New dates and follow-up practice sessions added!
In this session, managers and supervisors will learn and practice an approach to use a guiding template for facilitating 15-minute anti-racism discussions with their team. Attendees will also be shown a plan on how to begin conversations on sensitive topics and view a conversation in action.
You will learn to:
- Strengthen facilitation skills for short discussion
- Advance self-confidence as a Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) discussion facilitator
- Leverage existing content and templates to promote robust discussions
You will benefit by:
- Improving facilitation skills that support brief discussions on sensitive topics
- Learning how to create an inclusive, safe environment for discussions
- Having a plan for what you’ll do if tensions arise
In the practice sessions, managers and supervisors will have the opportunity to further practice the skills introduced to them in Facilitating Conversations for an Anti-Racist Workplace. The majority of the time will be spent in breakout rooms practicing facilitating team meetings using the templates provided.
Session dates (only need to attend once):
June 21: Noon – 1 p.m.
June 22: 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
July 12: 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
July 15: 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
July 21: 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
Practice session dates:
July 19: 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.
July 27: 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
All sessions will be held on Zoom.
These workshops is facilitated by the Advocacy and Professional Development subcommittee of the Anti-Racism Oversight Committee (AROC).
This workshop is hosted by the Office of Faculty Development but is open to all Michigan Medicine Faculty and Staff. If you are a person with a disability who requires an accommodation to attend this workshop or have questions about accessibility, please contact us at UMMS-Faculty-Development@med.umich.edu.