Give blood at upcoming drives on medical campus
Michigan Medicine is reopening blood drives at Towsley and the NCRC in response to the nationwide severe blood shortage. Drives were restricted to Michigan Medicine or U-M employees and students during the COVID-19 pandemic. Beginning June 29, these locations will once again welcome donors outside of the U-M community.
The nationwide blood shortage was caused by a rise in the number of trauma cases, organ transplants, and elective surgeries over recent months.
The Towsley and NCRC blood drives are facilitated by the American Red Cross who continues to adhere to COVID-19 safety protocols, alongside those instituted by Michigan Medicine. All donors, volunteers and staff are required to wear masks, regardless of their vaccination status. Donors must also complete the ResponsiBLUE questionnaire or respond to the entrance screening questions before gaining access to either location.
The following blood drives are now open to the public:
- June 29: 6:30 a.m. – 6 :30 p.m., Towsley Dining Room
- July 20: 6:30 a.m. – 6 :30 p.m., Towsley Dining Room
- July 20: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., NCRC Building 10, Room G064
- July 21: 6:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Towsley Dining Room
- Aug. 25: 6:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Towsley Lobby
- Sept. 14: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., NCRC Building 10, Room G064
- Sept. 21: 6:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Towsley Lobby
- Sept. 22: 6:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Towsley Lobby
- Nov. 23: 6:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., NCRC Building 10, Room G064
- Nov. 24: 6:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Towsley Lobby
- Dec. 15: 6:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Towsley Lobby
Appointments are highly recommended. If you are interested in volunteering at one of the upcoming blood drives, please visit wolverinesforlife.org/events for more information.