Information Assurance Archive
In case you missed any tips on cyber security or on how to protect yourself and others, please see latest posts below.
Email, Patients, and PHI – Communicating with Patients via Email
- Only use your @med.umich.edu account to send communication containing PHI to a patient.
- Type [SECURE] in the subject of an external email to encrypt it.
- If you are emailing information to more than one patient, use the BCC field. Patient email addresses are PHI and cannot be exposed to other patients.
Protect Yourself from Tax Fraud
- Filing your taxes early helps prevent criminals from filing under your name before you do!
- Elect to receive to receive W-2 information online.
- Use direct deposit for refunds.
- The IRS will NEVER contact taxpayers by email, text messaging or social media. Initial correspondence will always come through the U.S. mail.