The Michigan Medicine blog recap
January 20, 2021 // FOUND IN: News
P.S. Want to receive new stories straight to your inbox? Sign up for the blog e-newsletters!
- 10 Pandemic Tips for Older Adults (and the People Who Love Them): Special risks mean special care is needed, even as the vaccine becomes available.
- More Than Half of People Using Cannabis for Pain Experience Multiple Withdrawal Symptoms: And many may not recognize that these symptoms come not from their underlying condition, but from the absence of cannabis products they’re smoking.
- Many Summer Camps Don’t Require Childhood Immunizations: A new JAMA Pediatrics paper reported that nearly half of summer camps surveyed didn’t have official policies in place that required campers to be vaccinated.
- COVID-19 Deaths Really Are Different. But Best Practices for ICU Care Should Still Apply: “Increasingly we realized that all the things we’ve learned in the past 20 years probably will save people,” says senior author Hallie Prescott, M.D., M.Sc.
- Adults with Cerebral Palsy Need Better Access to Health Care: Although the number of adults with cerebral palsy is continually growing, the research, care and necessary resources for them aren’t.
- COVID Forced Psychiatric Care Online, and Many Patients Want It to Stay There: Although virtual visits during the pandemic have improved access and continuity in mental health care, policy and reimbursement decisions will be key in keeping this option in place, study authors say.
- Is it Safe to Perform CPR During the COVID-19 Pandemic?: A paper published in Resuscitation analyzed aerosol generation during the common emergency that requires a bystander’s help.
- Anti-Racism and Dr. Susan Moore’s Legacy: A U-M alumnus, who lost her life to COVID-19 at a Midwest hospital, sparks a national discussion about racial inequities happening every day in health care.
- Back On Duty at the Fire Station: For eight months straight Michael Hertzberg didn’t go a day without a headache. But, after seeking care from this neurology sports clinic, the dad of three is finally back to putting out fires.
- COVID-19 Coverage: Get the latest stories from the Michigan Health and the Michigan Health Lab on the coronavirus outbreak.