Michigan Harvest Gathering
Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Michigan Medicine is participating again this year in the annual Michigan Harvest Gathering, a food and fund drive sponsored by the Michigan Hospitals and Health Association. The drive will take place from Tuesday, October 20 and runs through Nov. 3.
Many Michiganders are suffering from hunger amid the pandemic and many are seeking food assistance for the very first time.
- Prior to COVID-19, the Michigan food bank network distributed 2.6 million lbs. of food per week.
- During COVID-19, the network has averaged 4.5 million lbs. of food per week.
Heading into the fall and winter months, food banks are expecting a 15% increase – that equates to approximately 667,000 MORE lbs. distributed per week
According to the Food Bank Council of Michigan, 16 percent of Michigan households struggle to put food on the table and 21% of Michigan’s children are starting their school day not knowing where their next meal is coming from. This food drive is one way Michigan Medicine is helping to improve the health of the community.
This year, the Michigan Harvest Gathering will be completely virtual.
What is the Virtual Food Drive?
A virtual food drive provides a shopping experience to purchase some of the most requested food items.
To shop the Virtual Food Drive:
- Go to feedmichigan.org
- Click ‘Shop Food’ and add some of the most requested food items to your cart.
- Once you are finished shopping, click ‘Checkout’ at the bottom of the screen.
- Please review your order upon checkout!
- Select our team (Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan) in the dropdown menu to have your donation count as a Michigan Medicine donation and complete your billing and donor information.
- Click ‘this is an honor or memorial gift’ add Food Gatherers in the box.
- Once completed, click ‘Complete Order’
To make a monetary donation:
- Go to feedmichigan.org
- Click the ‘Donate Now’ button and that will direct you to the ‘Provide a Monetary Donation’ You may click on the provided amounts, or choose the amount you would like to donate.
- Please select our team (Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan) in the dropdown menu to have your donation count as a Michigan Medicine donation.
- Click ‘this is an honor or memorial gift’ add Food Gatherers in the box
- If not, please fill in your information in the correct fields and click ‘Complete Order’.
Your donation can make a difference.
In 2019, the Michigan Medicine food drive coordinated by the PFANS team raised a total of $1,696.45 and 4,043 pounds of food, which provided a total of 8,458 meals for neighbors in need.
The Food Bank Council of Michigan is grateful for donation and your help in creating a food secure state – that’s powerful!
For further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.