High Reliability: Our Promise
Throughout the past year, our organization has shown incredible resilience and adaptability. Despite continuous change, the organization has remained steadfast in its journey to high reliability. Numerous examples of high reliability skills in action occur daily across the organization.
Before COVID-19, almost 15,000 employees took the in-person training high reliability training.
In an effort to continue the HRO journey, new virtual trainings were launched in mid-August through MLearning. In order to raise more awareness and reinforce the learned skills, there will be materials published periodically on a variety of platforms for teams to share, internalize and actively practice. So be sure to look out in the upcoming months!
This month, the organization will focus on ‘Our Promise.’
“It was important for us to start with our safety promise to remind everyone of our why,” said Kathrynn Thompson, high reliability lead. “We must always protect our patients, families and each other from harm and speak up when things may not seem right.”
Everyone can incorporate the safety promise in their work by:
- Remembering: Safety is our most important priority.
- Speak up if you see conditions that may lead to harm.
- Share examples of colleagues demonstrating high reliability behavior.
The Michigan Medicine Safety Promise
Want to print this out and hang in your office or unit? Click here for the downloadable handout.
We want to hear from you: Speaking up for Safety
While the exceptional work of our faculty and staff happens every day, usually it is only quietly acknowledged by those closest to the work. We would like to share those stories with the rest of the Michigan Medicine community.
If you would like to submit your story/example of yourself or a colleague demonstrating the Safety Promise or other skills, please click here to fill out the short form.
Here are a few questions to help shape your story:
- Do you remember a time when you or a colleague had a concern for safety and spoke up?
- In sharing your story tell us if a colleague, patient, or visitor was at risk for harm. Or maybe there was an environmental risk (i.e. a spill on the floor, trip hazard, etc.).
- Has there been a time when you or a colleague spoke up for safety and were supported by other colleagues or your manager/supervisor?
- As a result, have you seen a decision or project changed or delayed because someone had a safety concern and spoke up?
For more information about HRO, handouts, videos and more, please visit the High Reliability website.
Want the Our Promise Zoom Background? It’s now available for download!
Thank you for all that you do.