Major changes coming to the campus bus system on Monday, Aug. 24
Please be advised that Logistics, Transportation & Parking (LTP) is making major changes to care for you and the community while riding U-M buses.
The plan, developed in collaboration with College of Engineering (COE) and public health experts, includes a significant overhaul of the campus bus network. The team of experts conducted modeling to achieve a system that meets essential travel needs and peak demand, while also addressing passenger safety.
Here’s what you need to know:
Face coverings are required
College of Engineering faculty modeled air dispersion on buses and determined face coverings are safest for all riders and drivers. No mask, no service.
Bus routes redesigned to approximately 15 minutes or less
The Blue Bus routes have been completely overhauled to limit your trip duration. The biggest changes include direct bus service between the Central Campus Transit Center and Pierpont Commons on North Campus with more frequent buses at peak times. Medical campus express routes to commuter parking areas are approximately 15 minutes or less.
Please see the new U-M Bus Route Guide.
Riders can use Magic Bus to see real-time bus locations and arrival predictions for university bus service. Download the U-M Magic Bus app by searching ‘U-M Magic Bus’ at the Apple Store or Google Play OR view on your desktop or small screen by visiting mbus.ltp.umich.edu.
North-East Shuttle service change for fall semester
The North-East Shuttle route, due to its length and lower utilization, is being eliminated in the system redesign. A portion of the North-East shuttle route was utilized by community patients.
To address this potential service gap, a new on-demand service will be available to patients beginning on Monday, Aug. 24. A brief description of the service is provided below:
- On-demand service intended for patients who previously used the North-East Shuttle. Rides can be shared if there are multiple requests for the same time.
- The service will operate Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- To request a ride, please dial 734-936-0472.
- Vehicle(s) will be ADA equipped.
Pick-up locations: Plymouth Road Park-and-Ride, Med Inn, Rogel Cancer Center
Drop-off locations: Turner, Commonwealth, Michigan House, Domino’s Farms, East Medical Campus
Pick-up and drop-off from these locations can also occur in reverse.
Riders per bus reduced by nearly half
LTP has increased the bus frequency and the university has reduced class sizes to allow a reduction in riders per bus. Seated passengers only on the bus and no standing will reduce the riders per bus by nearly half.
Additional measures resulting from a comprehensive review
- All university drivers have been performing daily medical screening as well as a reminder to stay home if sick. Medical screening has been expanded to include the entire university for your safety.
- Windows must remain open on the bus. We apologize for the inconvenience on the short trip.
- Drivers will take advantage of stops to open doors for increased ventilation.
- Increased air filtration for all buses
- Plexiglass shields have been installed as a barrier between passengers and drivers.
- Requiring rear door boarding and alighting (unless wheelchair access is needed)
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched surfaces
- Signage on the bus exterior, interior, and at stops reminding riders of public health measures
- Volunteer ambassadors at key bus stops will assist passengers and remind passengers to wear a face covering.
Active students, faculty, and staff with a yellow Mcard are able to use TheRide’s fixed route bus service free of charge. Up-to-date information on routes and schedules is available on the AAATA website.