Health benefits expand for COVID-19 care
U-M has revised its health benefits in a continuing effort to ensure its communities have the comprehensive care needed during the global COVID-19 pandemic.
The university has added and expanded its benefits to cover the medical and mental-health out-of-pocket costs of telehealth services through June 30 for all U-M health plans.
• Virtual (telemedicine) medical appointments
• Virtual (telemedicine) mental-health appointments for individual psychiatric and psychotherapy visits. However, copays will apply to group psychotherapy services and autism services that can be appropriately delivered through telemedicine.
In addition, member cost-share for inpatient and outpatient testing and treatment related to COVID-19 is waived through June 30, 2020.
COVID-19 has proven to be highly contagious, with nearly 19,000 Michiganders officially diagnosed as of April 8. State health experts say the next few weeks could see more than 1,000 new cases each day as the disease peaks.
To decrease the chance of spreading the virus or being infected, members are reminded to use telemedicine visits whenever possible. Michigan Medicine providers are available for virtual visits. Other physician groups may offer telemedicine services; go to their websites or call their offices to check.
Because COVID-19, the flu and other illnesses are easily passed through person-to-person contact, all employees should call their doctor before seeking care to minimize the chance of spreading germs to others.
Advance drug refills continue
Last month, U-M’s Benefit Office implemented a refill override on prescription maintenance medications to ensure members can receive their supplies with less travel and human contact. This override continues until further notice. Members may get up to a 90-day supply of maintenance medication in advance of the usual refill schedule, provided their prescription has refills available.
Typically, 75 percent of a current fill must have been used before a refill request is honored.
24/7 resources available
For more questions about COVID-19, consult the following resources:
- Michigan Medicine 24/7 COVID-19 Hotline for patients and employees of Michigan Medicine: (734) 763-6336
- 24/7 nurse line for U-M health plan members:
- BCBSM PPO and CMM plans: (800) 775-BLUE (2583)
- U-M Premier Care/Grad Care plans: (855) 624-5214
- coronavirus.umich.edu for general U-M COVID-19 updates
- hr.umich.edu/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19 for work-related U-M COVID-19 updates