Review severe weather policy in case of thunderstorms
Tonight, there is a chance of severe weather and thunderstorms in the Ann Arbor area. Please take this opportunity to review the organization’s Severe Weather Plan in case of dangerous weather.
Additionally, be sure you are prepared if severe weather strikes, whether you are at home or work.
Here are some quick steps you can take to ensure your safety:
- When thunder roars, go indoors. A sturdy building is the safest place to be during a thunderstorm.
- Pay attention to weather reports and warnings of thunderstorms. Be ready to change plans, if necessary, to be near shelter.
- When you receive a thunderstorm warning or hear thunder, go inside immediately.
- If indoors, avoid running water or using landline phones. Electricity can travel through plumbing and phone lines.
- Protect your property. Unplug appliances and other electric devices. Secure outside furniture.
- If necessary, take shelter in a car with a metal top and sides. Do not touch anything metal.
- Avoid flooded roadways. Turn Around. Just six inches of fast-moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.