Update: Pyxis/Anesthesia Workstations
Please be advised that reports have declined that Pyxis and Anesthesia Workstations (AWS) are freezing. The Pyxis vendor tested a fix on multiple Pyxis machines Thursday evening, but needs more time to ensure the repair is effective.
For more than a week, Pyxis cabinets have been freezing in the middle of medication removal, requiring reboots across many units/areas. On Thursday, incidents escalated. Once a cabinet freezes it cannot be used until the system is rebooted.
The vendor will continue to monitor the problem and report regularly to Michigan Medicine leadership. Once a repair proves to be effective, it will be implemented on all machines. The vendor has not yet determined a root cause for the problems.
Please continue to report any instances of Pyxis freezes to Pyxis-Admin@med.umich.edu. If a Pyxis cabinet needs to be rebooted, please follow the instructions below:
- To reboot the cabinet, press the button to the off position (located on the back of the cabinet). It may take 2-3 minutes for the screen to go blank, power the cabinet back on at that time. It may take 5-10 minutes for the cabinet to fully reboot.
the event of an emergency and a medication is needed before the cabinet comes
back up, employees should
remove the medication per the following:
- Remove the medication from another Pyxis in your area
- Remove lifesaving medications from the crash cart (controlled substances are not in the crash cart)
- Call the pharmacy that services your area to get the medication
- Go to another unit, request visitor access and remove the medication
The safety of employees and patients is the organization’s No. 1 priority. Your commitment to providing the best possible patient care during this incident is truly appreciated.