Keep the community conversation going
On Tuesday, hundreds of Michigan Medicine team members gathered in Ford Auditorium for an important Community Conversation.
The event was hosted by the Office for Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI), Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience and Spiritual Care. The program spoke to the strength of the Michigan Medicine community and how it is using its values of civility, respect and humanity to be resilient in the wake of a disturbing incident last week.
“When I see an audience like this filling the entire auditorium, it means that this is something that’s important to you and has impacted you and a lot of others at Michigan Medicine,” said David J. Brown, associate vice president and associate dean for health equity and inclusion and associate professor of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. “One of the purposes today is to come together as a community and support each other. What happened last week goes against our values, but our unified community is stronger than hate and we are coming together to show that we will not tolerate it.”
If you were unable to attend the program, you may watch it by clicking here.
The event was positively received and beneficial to all those who attended, and OHEI and others across the organization have already planned more opportunities for faculty and staff to come together.
Over the next few weeks, OHEI and the Spiritual Care Department are hosting community listening sessions, open to all employees. The events will be held at the following times and locations:
- Monday, July 1: Noon – 1 p.m., Med Sci I – 5107
- Wednesday, July 3: Noon – 1 p.m., Med Sci I – 5107
- Friday, July 5: Noon – 1 p.m., UH Dining Room A (this will also serve as a First Friday event)
- Wednesday, July 10: Noon – 1 p.m., Med Sci II – 3817
- Tuesday, July 16: Noon – 1 p.m., Med Sci I – 5107
- Tuesday, July 23: Noon – 1 p.m., Med Sci I – 5107
- Friday, July 26: Noon – 1 p.m., Med Sci I – 5107
Spiritual Care events:
- Friday, June 28: 10:30 p.m., UH Dining Room A/B
- Tuesday, July 2: 10:30 p.m., UH Dining Room A/B
- Wednesday, July 3: 11 a.m., UH Dining Room A/B
- Tuesday, July 16: 3 p.m., UH Dining Room A/B
Additionally, the Office of Patient Experience will be sponsoring an event designed to support patients and families through empathy and cultural humility. That program will take place from 3 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 9 in the Ford Auditorium and all members of the Michigan Medicine community are invited to attend.
Resources available to employees
All employees have access to resources should they need support. Please do not hesitate to reach out to these teams if you’d like their assistance:
- Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience, 734-763-5409
- Office for Health Equity & Inclusion, 734-764-8185
- Social Work & Spiritual Care, 734-936-4041
- Office for Institutional Equity, 734-763-0235
Michigan Medicine Security is always poised to respond to both individual or broader unit requests for more information about security and to reports of concerns and potential issues. They are also committed to actively rounding across campus to understand first-hand any potential safety issues in specific locations, on both the main medical campus and remote locations.
For a complete look at the resources available at Michigan Medicine, click here.
Thank you for all you do to ensure Michigan Medicine is welcoming and inclusive to all.