It’s Patient Experience Week!
It’s Patient Experience Week at Michigan Medicine!
In celebration, the Office of Patient Experience has planned a week full of events designed to educate and energize faculty, staff, students, patients and families.
For instance, participants will have opportunities to learn tips on how to manage stress and burnout, and gain understanding and empathy for the experiences of others. Programs and panel discussions will be offered on topics ranging from the experiences of LGBTQ+ patients and families in health care to improving communication for everyone.
New this year, OPE is taking Patient Experience Week to more of the communities served by Michigan Medicine — including some of the satellite clinics in Brighton, Northville, West Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti.
The week culminates with a fun, interactive event — the third Annual Patient Experience Expo. More than 30 departments and programs representing the many ways Michigan Medicine strives to improve the experiences for its patients and families will be in attendance at the event.
“In the almost three years since the Office of Patient Experience was established, we have collaborated with departments across the health system, at all levels, to identify and improve the experience with our families and patients,” said Molly White, director of the Office of Patient Experience. “The expo and other events during Patient Experience Week highlights many of these collaborations and allow us all to take time to acknowledge and celebrate the tremendous work of all our colleagues.
“I hope everyone takes time to attend one of the events and learn more about how staff at every level are making a difference.”
Rose Juhasz, Ph.D., a manager in the Quality Department whose team manages all of the patient satisfaction surveys for Michigan Medicine, said the expo is a great opportunity for individuals across the organization to network and share information.
“As an attendee last year, I made connections to many units that had information valuable to understanding the patient populations we survey in our work,” Juhasz said. “It was also a good venue for getting introductions to programs that needed assistance in collecting their own patient feedback.”
This year, the Quality Department will have a formal display at the expo:
“We will showcase new reporting on patient experience survey results, which will give great insight into how we are doing with patient care and experiences from the patient’s perspective,” Juhasz said.
Here’s a full rundown of this week’s events:
Monday, April 22: Tips and Techniques to Manage Stress and Burnout
- Take a little break from your hectic schedule and stop by the Towsley Lobby where you’ll find stations on yoga, healing touch, mindfulness, art therapy, self-compassion and more.
- When/where: 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Towsley Lobby
Tuesday, April 23: Patient Experience Week at the ACUs
- Where: Brighton Center for Specialty Care and Northville Health Center
- When: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Wednesday, April 24: Patient Experience Learning Forum – Cultural Humility in LGBTQ+ Health Care
- A panel with patients and providers discussing the importance of creating an inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ patients and families.
- When/where: 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., Danto Auditorium, Frankel Cardiovascular Center
Thursday, April 25: Patient Experience Week at the ACUs
- Where: West Ann Arbor Parkland Plaza and Ypsilanti Health Center
- When: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Friday, April 26: Third annual Patient Experience Expo
- Join the Office of Patient Experience for an engaging and interactive event designed to promote programs and departments who impact the patient experience at Michigan Medicine.
- When/where: 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Towsley Lobby
Friday, April 26: Patient Experience Week featured on The Wrap
- Check out the Michigan Medicine employee podcast this Friday to learn about how Michigan Medicine celebrated Patient Experience Week.
For more information, contact the Office of Patient Experience. And check out the gallery above for a selection of photos from last year’s celebrations!
You must be logged in to post a comment.