It’s National Nutrition Month: Finding healthier foods at Michigan Medicine
In recognition of National Nutrition Month, MHealthy is encouraging employees to make informed food choices and develop sound eating habits.
When at work, the most mindful choice is usually bringing a lunch from home. When that’s not possible or practical, making the healthier choice from the options available is the next best thing. That’s why knowing where to find healthier foods is just as important as knowing what to eat.
“We spend a lot of our waking hours at work, so knowing how to choose and where to find healthier foods at Michigan Medicine is a key element to eating well,” said Erica Owen, manager of nutrition and weight management programs at MHealthy, the university’s health and well-being program. “We work with Michigan Medicine Dining, as well as restaurants, cafeterias and other food vendors, to offer and identify healthier options so faculty and staff can make more informed choices.”
Use these resources to help you enjoy healthier options at work:
- Easily find healthier foods: MHealthy has identified healthier menu items at dining locations across Michigan Medicine on the MHealthy Dining page. Each item meets MHealthy’s Nutrition Guidelines.
- Save a little for eating healthier: Michigan Medicine Dining and MHealthy partnered to offer a Loyalty Punch Card Program at select cafés and carts. Save $2 after purchasing five MHealthy-approved items.
- Choose healthier foods for your next event: Ordering food for a meeting or event? This handy dining and catering guide includes restaurants and university services offering healthier food options on or near campus.
- Plan ahead: Carrying a packed lunch from home increases your chances of making more mindful food choices once you’re at work. Check out the MHealthy recipes page and these lunch packing tips for some fresh meal ideas.
- Access food 24/7: Always open and stocked, Market Twenty 4 Seven micro-markets offer salads, sandwiches, snacks and beverages (many of which meet MHealthy’s Nutrition Guidelines!) at eight locations across the university. Michigan Medicine locations include KMS, NCRC, School of Nursing, NCAC and MSRB III 2350.
- Select a healthier snack: In Michigan Medicine vending machines, healthier snacks and beverages are identified with the MHealthy logo.
“Eating a nutritious meal or snack is an opportunity to give your body and mind the fuel it needs to stay focused and be at their best throughout your workday and at home,” said Owen.
MHealthy, the university’s health and well-being program, provides nutrition programs, healthy dining resources, weight management programs and more year-round for university faculty and staff. Learn more about MHealthy.