Don’t quit quitting: Today is the Great American Smokeout
Nearly 38 million Americans still smoke — and tobacco use remains the single largest preventable cause of disease and premature death in the U.S.
Each year, the American Cancer Society and many other health organizations, observe the third Thursday of November as the Great American Smokeout, which challenges people to quit on that day or make a plan to quit.
In support, the university and Michigan Medicine offer a number of programs and resources to raise awareness and support those who want to stop using tobacco.
Among the resources available to faculty and staff are:
- MHealthy Tobacco Consultation Service (TCS): Free, one-on-one individual counseling focused on the body, mind and social reasons for using tobacco. It is available to Michigan Medicine employees, as well as their dependents. TCS arms you with the skills needed to help you quit and stay quit. For more information, call TCS at 734-998-6222 or visit the program website.
- The 3Ps of Cancer podcast: Learn about prevention, preparedness and progress in cancer treatment and research in this new podcast involving members of TCS and the U-M Rogel Cancer Center.
- Towsley Center wall display: If you are visiting the Towsley Center at University Hospital in November, stop by to view the Towsley wall where a timeline of the history of tobacco is on display. The wall also includes information and resources that can help anyone who wants to live tobacco-free.
- Quit kit: This “virtual” quit kit includes helpful information and tools to help you ‘Quit for A Day.’
- Tobacco I.Q. online challenge: Take this 10-question quiz and test your knowledge about smoking, quitting, e-cigarettes and more. You might be surprised at what you learn. Faculty and staff who take the challenge by the end of the day today can enter a drawing for a chance to win one of five $10 Amazon gift cards.
Stay tuned for this week’s episode of The Wrap — coming Friday — which will look closer at the Great American Smokeout and other MHealthy programs that will help employees maintain their physical, mental and emotional well-being during the upcoming holiday season!