Save lives by reporting controlled substance concerns

May 10, 2018  //  FOUND IN: Updates & Resources

You probably know how important it is to report concerns about controlled substances and drug diversion, but what do you do when those concerns involve a colleague? Substance use disorder is a disease, not a character flaw, and trying to protect and care for a troubled coworker can make reporting seem cruel.

However, at Michigan Medicine, team members must give each other permission to “speak up” and then follow through, because when you report a controlled substances issue you may actually be saving multiple lives, including those of coworkers, patients and the community at large.

If you suspect that a coworker is using or diverting controlled substances, report your concerns in any of the following ways:

  • Notify your supervisor

Michigan Medicine offers a program within the Addiction Treatment Services for medical professionals. Please visit or call 1-800-525-5188. Individuals can either self-refer, be referred by the State Licensing Board or Health Professional Recovery Program.

Remember, silence is enabling and could lead to serious consequences. Speaking up saves lives!