Save the date: Grief awareness events coming throughout May
This month, Michigan Medicine is hosting a number of events focused on grief-related issues pertaining to patient loss, staff loss and personal loss.
“Honoring Life and Loss: Grief Awareness for Faculty and Staff,” will touch on all aspects of grief, acknowledging that professional grief is very different from personal grief.
“Though all types of grief are different, it is essential for individuals — especially those who work in health care — to recognize it and understand that grief is a normal emotion for anyone to have,” said Lisbeth Harcourt, program manager for the Office of Decedent Affairs, which is sponsoring the events.
The month kicks off with multiple activities on Wednesday, May 2, including a keynote by kindness expert and linguist Jeannette Mare, who will discuss “The Power of Words: Kind Communication and Grief” from noon until 1 p.m. in Ford Auditorium. There is also a Life Sciences Orchestra concert that night.
Another keynote address will be given by Barry Zaret, M.D., a pioneering cardiologist from Yale Medicine, who will discuss his own experience with end-of-life issues. Zaret has a personal connection to some members of the Michigan Medicine community, including Susan Mann, unit host in the ICU at the Frankel Cardiovascular Center.
“Dr. Zaret was so influential at the end of my mother’s life,” said Mann. “He helped our family in a time of grief, constantly staying in touch with us, letting us know what was taking place at each step of the process and comforting us when we needed it most. He knows how important communication and support is when it comes to families dealing with grief.”
Zaret’s address will take place from noon until 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 8 in the MCHC Auditorium in UH South.
Here’s a complete look at grief awareness events coming throughout May. The events are free and open to all faculty, staff, patients and their families:
- The Power of Words: Kind Communication and Grief: Noon – 1 p.m., Wednesday, May 2; Ford Auditorium
- 15 Minutes of Peace: Noon – 12:15 p.m., Wednesday, May 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30; Mott Spiritual Center
- Life Sciences Orchestra Concert: 7:30 p.m,, Wednesday, May 2; Hill Auditorium
- Adult Memorial Service: 1 p.m., Saturday, May 5; Dow Auditorium
- Schwartz Rounds, “No Wrong Way to Grieve: Honoring the Needs of the Bereaved”: Noon – 1 p.m., Monday, May 7; Towsley Center Sheldon Auditorium
- Keynote, “Reflections on End of Life, Healing and Compassionate Care” with Barry Zaret, M.D.: Noon – 1:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 8, MCHC Auditorium
- Self-Care: Meeting Our Professional and Ethical Obligations Well: Noon – 1 p.m., Wednesday, May 16, Ford Auditorium
- Gifts of Art presents Paper Succulent Workshop: Noon – 1 p.m., Thursday, May 17, Hospital Main Entrance Lobby
- Grief and Gratitude: 2 p.m. – 3 p.m., Tuesday, May 22, Danto Auditorium
- Grand Rounds, Portraits of a Professional Caregiver — Their Passion, Their Pain: 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m., Thursday, May 24, MCHC Auditorium
- Book Club discussion on “Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience and Finding”: Noon – 1 p.m., Wednesday, May 30, UH Classroom, 2C224
- A Moment of Pause: Honoring Grief in Health Care: Noon – 1 p.m., Thursday, May 31, Danto Auditorium
In addition to all the activities, please note that there will be Grief and Healing Walls at UH, Mott and the CVC, where faculty, staff, patients and families can express their grief all month long.
For more information on next month’s events, click here.