2017 diversity award for staff recognizes 10 individuals, five teams
Recipients of the ninth annual Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award for U-M staff were celebrated Tuesday at a breakfast ceremony at the Michigan Union.
The award recognizes individual staff members and teams for their extraordinary commitment and dedication to diversity at U-M.
Pamela Heatlie, senior associate director of the Office for Institutional Equity, served as master of ceremonies and recognized the outstanding support of Robert Sellers, vice provost for equity, inclusion and chief diversity officer, and Laurita Thomas, associate vice president for human resources.
Peggy Sheagren, program director in leadership and diversity development, University Human Resources, provided closing remarks for the ceremony.
Established in 2008 as a collaboration between Thomas and former senior vice provost Lester Monts, the award is co-sponsored by the Office of the Provost and University Human Resources, and administered by the Office of Institutional Equity.
The award provides a monetary prize — $1,000 for individuals, $2,500 for teams — to be used toward professional development activities. Staff members on all campuses and Michigan Medicine are eligible.
Individual award recipients:
- Cherie Dotson, student affairs, College of Pharmacy
- Amanda Dudley, epidemiology
- Denise Guillot, honors program, LSA Student Academic Affairs
- Ryan Henyard, Health Information Technology & Services
- Marjorie Horton, LSA Dean’s Office, Undergraduate Education
- Jamie Saville, Women in Science & Engineering Program
- Doni Walker, student life, Michigan Dining
- Harold Waters, Comprehensive Studies Program
- Sarah Watson, student life, Auxiliary Capital Projects
- Deborah Willis, Rackham Graduate School
Team award recipients:
- Michigan Medicine Disability Council
- Center for Research on Learning and Teaching Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Team
- Psychology Student Academic Affairs Office
- School for Environment & Sustainability Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Office
- UM-Dearborn Office of Student Success