Mission accomplished: Medical School transforms guiding statement
The U-M Medical School is unveiling a transformed mission statement that sets the tone for U-M’s leadership in education, research and patient care.
The Medical School’s new mission: “To transform health through bold and innovative education, discovery, and service.”
“The words that resonate most with me: transform, bold and innovative,” Executive Vice Dean for Academic Affairs Carol R. Bradford, M.D., wrote in a message to the Michigan Medicine community. “We want to embrace new ideas and ways of thinking, we want to make a positive difference, and we want to impact the future of health care.”
In addition to crafting an updated mission, academic leadership also constructed a set of strategic pillars for the school: people, discovery, education, care and service.
- The goal for the people pillar is to recruit, develop and retain the best faculty, staff and learners who work together for the greater good.
- The goal for the discovery pillar is to create transformative knowledge that advances science and improves health.
- The goal for the education pillar is to cultivate a learning community that engages all in bold and innovative education for the advancement of science, health and health care delivery.
- The goal for the care pillar is to deliver outstanding patient care and improve health for local, national and global populations while caring for each other.
- The goal for the service pillar is to engage and collaborate with our institutional, local, state, national and global communities to advance health and science.
Faculty, staff and learners will pursue the new mission and strategic pillars in a vibrant and inclusive learning environment. They also will be a part of workgroups tasked with developing strategies and tactics to inform an implementation plan.
“Our new mission and strategic pillars are inspiring, and their adoption strengthens our commitment to excellence in all that we do,” Bradford added. “It is the True North on our compass, and guides us in everything we do on behalf of our faculty, staff and learners.”