Wireless access changes coming Thursday
On Thursday, April 27, Health Information Technology & Services — or HITS — is implementing security changes to the Michigan Medicine internal wireless (UMHS-8021X) network. These changes are part of the Network Admission Control initiative to make the IT environment as secure as possible for all patients, faculty, and staff.
Please be advised that the changes may impact your ability to access a number of internal resources including:
- Internal websites and SharePoint sites
- Network shared files and folders
- Accounts and systems requiring Level-2 credentials
After April 27, only “privileged” devices — those properly configured with required security protocols — will be able to access the resources above. Privileged devices include the following:
- Personally-owned mobile laptops, tablets, and smartphones enrolled in AirWatch
- Michigan Medicine-owned/managed smartphones and tablets enrolled in AirWatch
- Michigan Medicine-owned/managed desktops and laptops configured as part of the Michigan Medicine “Core” fleet of devices (PC/Windows or Mac)
How does this impact you?
If you do not need to access internal Michigan Medicine resources on your personally-owned mobile device, you may use join MWireless-UMHS network, using your Level-1 password.
If you do need to continue accessing Michigan Medicine internal resources — and have a device that is not currently privileged — you need to take one of the following actions:
- Self-enroll in AirWatch. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
Michigan Medicine-owned or managed devices (primarily laptops)
- Self-schedule to have your device configured by clicking here.
- Stop in at a Help Me Now location
- Visit one of two walk-up clinics which will be open between April 27 and May 5, from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- UH Room 2C228
- North Campus Research Complex, Building 18, Room G019
- Contact the HITS Service Desk:
- Phone: 734-936-8000, Option 9
- Email email@example.com
The wireless changes on April 27 will not impact devices using a wired connection (Ethernet cable) unless they are being used in a location where wired controls are already enforced. For a list of these locations, see the Wired Deployment Schedule. Note that dates may change.
Fore more information on the Network Admission Control initiative, click here.