Workshop: Presentation skills: Thinking like an actor
It’s conference season, and you’ve once again been asked to share your expertise by giving a breakout session at a regional, national or international conference. The thought makes you both smile and shiver. The pressure to deliver a presentation to a group of professional colleagues that is clear, confident and memorable is undeniable. As you prepare, you start to wonder:
"How do I make my presentation more interesting?"
"How do I convey numbers, facts and data in a way that everyone can understand?"
"How can I manage the fear and performance anxiety that can make me stumble?"
"What’s the best way to prepare and rehearse?"
"And what about my slides? How many are too many? How much detail should they include? And what’s the best way to use slides and stay engaged with my audience?"
This interactive, two-hour seminar will answer those questions, giving you the tools you need to prepare and deliver an effective, impactful, persuasive presentation — a presentation that you will enjoy giving and your audience will enjoy receiving.
Eleni Kelakos will share theater-based presentation techniques that will help ignite what she calls your "transformational presence," so you can pitch or present fearlessly, authentically and persuasively, all while under pressure and scrutiny.
Objectives of the course include to:
- Describe the fundamentals of transformational presence (the five commandments of great acting and great speaking)
- Explain how and why to structure an effective presentation
- Outline how to practice and prepare to increase confidence and genuine connection.
- Tame the fear factor: How to minimize and manage performance anxiety. This will include breathing and relaxation basics.
- Develop techniques to increase audience attention, engagement and buy-in.
- Create proper PowerPoint slides including the best use and display of text, charts and numbers.
When: Thursday, Nov. 3
Time: Morning session: 8 a.m.-10:30 a.m. (Breakfast will be provided)
Afternoon session: Noon-2:30 p.m. (Lunch will be provided)
Where: BSRB Seminar Rooms, 1st floor
This workshop is hosted by the Office of Faculty Development. Please note that this workshop is for faculty only.
Questions? Please contact Jordan Wright, email@example.com.