Plan ahead: Student move-in 2016 set for next week
How many students does it take to carry that old sofa bed? And how many detours does it take for you to get to work? In just a few days, we’ll have answers to both burning questions as U-M students pack their things and head to Ann Arbor for a new school year.
With the 2016 student move-in taking place prior to the opening football game and holiday weekend, please be advised that there will be multiple changes to usual traffic and parking patterns around UMHS facilities. Here’s what you need to know so you can plan ahead.
Move-in is scheduled to take place during the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, Aug. 31: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 1: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 2: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Some streets in the immediate vicinity of residence halls and UMHS will see traffic-flow alterations on each of the three move-in days:
- East Ann Street will be one-way eastbound from Zina Pitcher to Observatory Street.
- Observatory Street will be one-way southbound between East Ann Street and Geddes Avenue.
Additional traffic alterations that are scheduled to take place across Ann Arbor include:
- Thompson Street will be one-way southbound from Jefferson to Packard streets.
- East Madison Street will be one-way eastbound between Thompson and South State streets.
- East Washington Street will be one-way westbound between Fletcher and South State streets.
Most, if not all, parking meters in the immediate vicinity of residence halls will be bagged and reserved for students and families who display the proper move-In unloading permit. Additional parking changes will impact university parking lots and structures that will be reserved for move-In use only for the duration of the program. Please allow for extra time when traveling to the area and alert patients and visitors to these changes prior to their appointments.
Lots and structures that will be converted into “move-in only” lots:
- Lot M-28 on Washington Heights
- Lot M-95 (just east of Markley Hall – the west half of the lot will be dedicated to move-in between 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.; then the entire lot, except for gold permit parking).
- Lot E-1 on North University Court across from Stockwell Hall
- Palmer Drive Parking Structure (all visitor parking will be for move-in participants)
- Lot W-16, also knowns as the “Triangle” lot on Thompson at Madison and Packard
In addition, move-in parking may overflow into the staff permit areas in the following structures for short-term parks (less than two hours):
- Palmer Drive Parking Structure
- Hill Street Parking Structure
- Thompson Street Parking Structure
Uniformed housing security officers and university police officers will be on site during move-in and will assist in maintaining efficient traffic flow in the residence hall areas.
Both the Ann Arbor Area Transit Authority and University Parking and Transportation Services will be changing some bus routes to accommodate the changes in traffic flow. Please visit their websites for details.
The map below also outlines the traffic flow changes near the UMHS campus. For additional information about Student Move-In 2016, please click here.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation!