Nominate your unit for an Ergonomics Department Award
There’s only one week left to nominate your department or unit for the university’s annual MHealthy Ergonomics Awards for Departments. Any faculty or staff member can nominate an area for reducing ergonomic risk factors by adding new equipment, modifying equipment, or redesigning work processes. Applications are being accepted through March 31.
Nominate your department or unit if it has independently created a safer, healthier and more efficient work environment by reducing one or more of the following:
- Awkward Postures: Repeated or prolonged reaching, twisting, bending, kneeling, squatting or, working overhead with your hands or arms.
- Forceful Exertions: Heavy lifting or maintaining control of equipment or tools.
- Repetition or Sustained Postures: Doing the same motions over and over again or holding the body in one posture for long periods of time.
- Contact Stress: Pressing the body against a hard or sharp object can result in putting too much pressure on nerves, tendons, and blood vessels. For example, using your hand as a hammer can increase your risk of MSD (musculoskeletal disorders).
- Vibration: For example, operating vibrating tools such as sanders, grinders, chippers, routers, drills and saws.
- Temperature Extremes: For example, the use of thick or loose-fitting gloves to keep hands warm may cause you to grip hand tools more forcefully, resulting in added stress to the wrists and hands.
To qualify, the ergonomic solution must have been implemented during 2015. Entries will be judged based on the significance of the ergonomic issue and the success of the ergonomic solution.
Nominations will be recognized at one of three award levels:
- Gold Level – Units receive a healthy celebration sponsored by MHealthy and a special plaque
- Silver Level – Units receive a certificate of recognition
- Bronze Level – Units receive a special letter of appreciation
Ergo Department Award applications can be submitted online. Winners will be announced in May.