Traveling? Protect Your Data and Devices
April 27, 2015 // FOUND IN: Announcements, Updates & Resources
The summer travel season is just around the corner. If you plan on using or accessing UMHS data resources while you’re away, your preparation must include taking steps to protect privacy and security.
The UMHS Compliance Office, MCIT and MSIS, together with U-M Information and Technology Services (ITS), offer the following tips for travelers:
All Devices (Laptops, Smartphones, Tablets, and Removable Media)
- Take only those files, devices, and applications that are absolutely necessary; avoid taking any sensitive information or PHI if at all possible.
- Make sure all devices are encrypted, whether they are University or personally owned.
- If your personally owned device is not encrypted, consider borrowing a device from your department’s IT provider.
- Keep devices close at hand or locked away; if your hotel has a safe, use it.
- Use up-to-date antivirus software.
- Install the UMHS VPN, which is required if you wish to connect to the UMHS network (instructions here).
- Use cellular networks when available; if you must use open WiFi networks, protect your connection by using the UMHS VPN.
- Disable wireless, GPS, and Bluetooth when not in use.
- Change your UMICH (Level-1) password when you return home; this will block anyone who may have gained access to your accounts while traveling.
Mobile Devices (Smartphones and Tablets)
- Enroll your smartphones and tablets in AirWatch, the UMHS-supported mobile device management system, if possible.
- Enable security settings, including passcode, auto lock, and device-tracking features such as “Find My Phone” on any smartphone or tablet not enrolled in AirWatch.
For more information, check out these tips from the ITS Safe Computing: Traveling with Technology page:
- Video: Safe Computing when Traveling
- Mobile Device Security when Traveling or Conducting Field Research
- Computing Guidelines for Traveling to High-Risk Locations
- Resources for Traveling with Technology
- Instructions for Securing Your Devices and Data
- Protect Your Mobile Device
Your IT Service Desk is also available to answer questions:
- MSIS: 734-763-7770 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCIT: 734-936-8000 or MCITService Desk@med.umich.edu